Thursday, April 1, 2010

Class #61 Power Pump Thursday 5:45 a.m. (Kris)



Today is the first day of the last month of the quest so it’s getting down to crunch time. This morning’s class with Kris Mougeot makes four classes within the last 24 hours and truth be told, I’m pooped. I’ve got one more class on the schedule for this evening – then I’ll do one on Friday and one on Saturday – take Easter Sunday off and sprint for home over the next four weeks.

This morning’s Power Pump class is the second one I’ve done with Kris and my fourth Mougeot class overall (see previous blogs #1, #9, #25). As I’ve made amply clear in the past, Kris doesn’t mess around with easy workouts so I knew what I was in for this morning. I also reasoned that I was a little stronger than the first time I did her class so I could/should add some weight to my bar.

The Power Pump format is to do lots and lots of reps with fairly light weights. Even adding five pounds to an exercise where 60-80 reps are called for can make a huge difference. I made it though everything this morning but it wasn’t easy and now, eight hours later, I’m still feeling it. I need/want a nap.

The big news in this morning’s class is an impending schedule change that will kick in next week. The class is moving from 5:45 to 5:15 a.m. (see why I came today) and will be combined, sort of, with Jeanie’s yoga class, which starts at 5:45 a.m. The idea is for power pumpers to join Jeanie’s class at 5:55 and stay as long as they like or until the class ends at 6:45. Kris is a big fan of the benefits of yoga and strongly believes this change will be good for Power Pump nation.

The thing is – change is hard – this seems to be a hard and fast rule of the universe, at least where people are concerned. Kris is well aware of this Law of Change and so she continues to make the announcement about next week, often in humorous ways, throughout class. I don’t really have a dog in this fight – I plan on sleeping in next Thursday but here’s how I read the situation. The folks in this class seem to me to love and trust Kris so I imagine they’re going to give her the benefit of the doubt and try it out (for all I know the idea originated with some of her students). If after a month or two the change doesn’t sit well, I’m sure the Mougeotians will renegotiate their contract with Kris but since these folks are serious troopers I expect they’ll give this new schedule a fighting chance to succeed.

Here’s the thing - if one can overcome the Law of Inertia by invoking the Law of (positive) Change why they can do most anything. Stay tuned to this channel for future episodes of “Kris and her peeps in the morning”.

Kris Mougeot

(She looks so harmless in this photo - don't be fooled)

As for me, I’ve still got two more Mougeot classes to struggle through before the quest is done. One of them is the deadly CardioSculpt, which happens on Wednesday’s at 5:45 a.m. I’ve got to get psyched up for that one but I’m going to do it soon.

By the way, there are about 15 in Power Pump class this morning. Appropriately enough, the winner of the $25 gift certificate is a bona fide defeater of the Law of Inertia. Scott Miller changed his habits a while back to become an early morning (before 6 a.m.) exerciser and has lost 40 pounds along the way. He’s dedicated to the routine now and steadily working toward his goal weight. Congratulations Scott on all counts!

No comments:

Post a Comment