Monday, March 22, 2010

Class #43 Cycling Sunday 3 p.m. (David)


Lately I've found myself dragging into a class here or there, especially if it’s the second one of the day and when that’s the case I sometimes feel like I’m just “making it through”. But today I enter David’s 3 p.m. cycling class feeling fresh and full of vigor and I’m glad that’s the case. David pours a ton of effort and energy into his class and it would be a shame not to experience it with a full tank.

I’ve been looking forward to taking David’s class because several people have gone out of their way to mention how much they love it. What could it be, I’ve wondered, that makes it so good. I was eager to find out.

The short answer is it’s his great passion for teaching bike classes. He doesn’t hold anything back. It’s definitely not “just another class” to him but an hour of empowerment and striving for a best effort from everyone.

On the sprints, he tells us, there are three rules: 1) Don’t exceed 110 rpms, 2) make sure there’s sufficient resistance on the gearing to “feel” the road, and 3) help me hoop and holler. Sure enough, David is a great hoop n holler man and that helps get you going. He calls the group his “animal” class and consistently encourages us to reach for something extra and believe in our ability to improve our fitness through joyful effort.

He consistently urges us to drink plenty of water between sets so we won’t dehydrate. He even brings four extra bottles of water to class in case anyone needs more and sure enough there are takers for his thoughtful gesture.

One of David’s great loves is music and his class is filled with varied and inspiring songs (listed below is the play list and class syllabus). The highlight of the class for me is what David shows on his class plan as “Extreme Hill” and he selects “I Dreamed a Dream” from Les Mis, sung by the improbable and inspiring Susan Boyle. I love this song and along with David’s encouraging words, I amp up my effort to match the soaring notes.

We end class by sprinting to the finish line passing one-by-one (as David vividly describes it) the three final riders ahead of us on a race down Riverfront Drive, to Springsteen’s Born to Run. At the end I am spent but feel really good, like I’ve done something significant. Cool.

David Prince in cycle regalia

In “real life” David is a securities lawyer for Stephen’s Inc., a job that brought him to Little Rock from Atlanta four years ago. He’s been a group cycling aficionado for twelve years but didn’t get certified until he moved here. He gives credit to fellow LRAC instructors Barbara Sarnataro, Mike Seay, Betsy Kortebien and Lisa Cooper for “overwhelming” encouragement and support on his quest to become a teacher.

David, who has been teaching for the past year, has regular classes at the LRAC, NLRAC and DAC and occasionally subs at the Racquet Club. About his experience as a teacher he says, “it’s one of the most rewarding things I have ever done – I love it.” It definitely shows – thanks for being part of our Team – David!

The “animal” winning the gift certificate in today’s class is Barry Strevig.

Well, this marks the halfway point in my allotted time to get through the 110 classes but I’m clearly behind schedule. After two trips out of town and suffering through a cold, it’s not surprising that I’m off pace but I’ll have to push things to make up ground. I’ll see if I can get in a few “extra” classes this week - we’ll see how it goes.

David’s play list and class plan follows:

1

Warm Up

Only Want to Be With You

Hootie and the Blowfish

3:47

1-2

Rolling Hills

Best Days of Your Life

Kelly Pickler

3:37

2

Watts Drill

(40/50/70)

I Don’t Wanna Be in Love

Good Charlotte

4:04

6

Sprint

Love Drunk

Boys Like Girls

3:47

2-4

Seated to Standing Climb

According to You

Orianthi

3:20

2

Seated Climb-Resistance Load

Hanging by the Moment

Lifehouse

3:36

2

Watts Drill (3x30)

Supermassive Black Hole

Muse

3:29

2-4

Extreme Hill

Come What May

Ewan McGregor & Nicole Kidman

4:48

6

Sprint

Heaven Can Wait

We The Kings

3:30

3-4

Standing Climb

I Don’t Feel Like Dancin’

Scissor Sisters

4:48

2

Seated Climb-Resistance Load

Gotta Be Somebody

Nickelback

4:13

2-4

Extreme Hill

I Dreamed a Dream

Susan Boyle

3:11

1

Sprint to Finish

Born to Run

Bruce Springsteen

4:29

1

Cool Down and Stretch

I’m Forrest. . . Forrest Gump

Alan Silvestri

2:40

1

Stretch

Baby Can I Hold You

Tracy Chapman

3:14

1

Stretch

Hard Times Come Again No More

Mary J. Blige

3:58

(50:46 plus cool down)

No comments:

Post a Comment